May 2015 is National Water Safety MonthMay 7, 2015
May is National Water Safety Month and with the summer months approaching, swimming is one of the most popular summer activities. If you’re looking to have family and friends over to enjoy a day in the pool, now is the perfect time to ensure that you and your loved ones are prepared for a safe and fun time.
Courtesy of PoolSafely.gov, here are some important water safety tips to share with your family to keep the good times rolling this May:
Stay close, be alert, and watch children in and around the pool
- Never leave a child unattended when they are in or near a pool or spa
- Have a telephone nearby
- Keep children away from pool drains, pipes, and other openings to avoid entrapments
- Teach children basic water safety habits
- Share safety instructions with family, friends, and neighbors
- If a child is missing, look in the pool or spa first
Learn and practice water safety skills
- Learn how to swim and pass those skills on to your child
- Understand basic life-saving techniques to assist with pool emergencies
- Learn and stay refreshed on how to perform CPR on children and adults
Have appropriate equipment for your pool or spa
- Install a pool fence, at least 4 feet tall, that includes self-closing or self-latching gates
- Invest in a lockable safety cover on your spa
- Install pool and gate alarms that alert you when children go near the water
- Ask your pool service provider to ensure your pool or spa has compliant drain covers
- Maintain pool or spa covers
- Use door alarms and window guards on the doors and windows of your home that face your pool or spa
- Use a surface wave or underwater alarm
After following the previous tips, contact your local All-Safe dealer for further advice on your pool safety needs.
Have a great National Water Safety Month and a fun summer by the water!