May 2015 is National Water Safety MonthMay 7, 2015
May 2015 is National Water Safety month and with the summer months coming up, swimming is the most popular summer activity. If you are a homeowner, parent, or have pets, now is the perfect time to ensure that you and your family and children are prepared to have a safe and fun time by the swimming pool.
May 2015 is National Water Safety Month
Here are important water safety tips to share with your family whenever you are in, on, or around water:
(courtesy of the “Simple Steps Save Lives” Program from PoolSafely.gov)
Stay close, be alert and watch children in and around the pool
- Never leave a child unattended in a pool or spa and always watch your child when he or she is in or near water.
- Teach children basic water safety tips.
- Keep children away from pool drains, pipes and other openings to avoid entrapments.
- Have a telephone close by when you or your family is using a pool or spa.
- If a child is missing, look for him or her in the pool or spa first.
- Share safety instructions with family, friends and neighbors.
Learn and practice water safety skills
- Learn how to swim and teach your child how to swim.
- Learn to perform CPR on children and adults and update those skills regularly.
- Understand the basics of life-saving so that you can assist in a pool emergency.
Have appropriate equipment for your pool or spa
- Install a four-foot or taller pool fence around the pool and spa and use self-closing and self-latching gates; ask your neighbors to do the same at their pools.
- Install and use a lockable safety cover on your spa.
- If your house serves as a fourth side of a fence around a pool, install door alarms and always use them. For additional protection, install window guards on windows facing pools or spas.
- Install pool and gate alarms to alert you when children go near the water.
- Ensure any pool and spa you use has compliant drain covers and ask your pool service provider if you don’t know.
- Maintain pool and spa covers in good working order.
- Consider using a surface wave or underwater alarm.
In addition to following the above water safety tips, contact your local All-Safe dealer to answer your questions and assist with your pool safety needs.
Have a safe and fun summer by the water!