What are the Minimum Requirements for Installing Pool Fence?
All local jurisdictions require that swimming pools be covered by a Pool Fence. It is also important to check the local regulations to ensure that you adhere to the safety requirements. These laws are mostly related to the height and locking mechanism of the fence to ensure optimal level of safety. Here are the minimum basic requirements that need to be met in most areas.
Make sure that your Pool Fence meets the following minimum requirements with regard to barrier it provides:
- Make sure that your fence is at least 5 feet high from the ground, on the outside.
- There should be no openings in the fence that allows even a 4-inch ball get through.
- Avoid any horizontal gap that may allow someone to climb.
- The gap between the bottom of the Pool Fence and grade should not be more than 2 inches. If the grade is made of concrete or other durable surface, the gap should not be more than 4 inches.
Pool Fence Gate Requirements
The minimum requirements for the fence’s gate are as following:
- The gate should be self-closing and self-latching.
- It should be lockable and the latch should be at least 54 inches from the ground.
- Make sure that the fence’s gate swings outwards.
- If there are gates of width over 4 feet, they should have padlocks if self-closing and self-latching is not possible.
Make sure that the gate automatically closes. Besides these requirements, it is also recommended to have additional safety features to make the Pool Fence a reliable deterrence to prevent anyone unwanted from entering the pool area.
Some of these additional measures of protection include the following:
- Alarms to alert if someone opens the Pool Fence gate.
- Adding a temporary fence
- Installing in-water alarm for additional safety.
So it is important to meet the minimum requirements when choosing installing a Pool Fence in your home.
Content by – Webvisable